Sorry I haven't posted for a few days. Things have been going pretty well and I'm settling down into more of a routine.
I learned yesterday that many people in Japan believe that clothes dried in the sun are healthier to wear versus machine-dried clothes. Good thing, too, given that space is always at a premium and consumer goods are generally expensive here. Growing up, we had a clothesline that we used about half the time, and I've used one on and off through college. Here, we dry our clothes exclusively on a line and I think I'll continue that practice when I return home. I was thinking about all the lifestyle changes I've had to make here and it made me feel good. That's part of the whole reason why I came here: to see how other people do it and try it myself.
Last night, Alisha and some of our friends went to a conveyor sushi restuarant (a first for the two of us). For those of you who don't know what conveyor restaurants are: you come in an queue for a table just like any other seated restaurant. Within the restaurant are booth style tables with all the little stuff like chopsticks, free green tea*, etc. Once sitting, at about shoulder height, there is a conveyor belt that snakes around every table in the place. On the conveyor belts are individual plates of sushi or other small items (like a hunk of sweet potato cake last night). When an item passes by, you simply grab it and eat it. When you're done, you're left with a pile of plates which will determine your bill. Every item is the same price (dessert was a little more last night), so you know what you're paying and you can eat right up to your level of hunger and/or finances in a fairly precise manner. You're also not constrained by having a large portion of one thing, so it's a snap to try new things, nor are you limited by any linear progression of courses. If you're still hungry after dessert then it's not a problem for anyone. When you're done you just hit a button/ring a bell and they tally your expenses right there. I've greatly enjoyed group dining in Japan so far because (in my limited experience) it's normal for everyone to pay individually.
On Friday we had another little welcoming party. This time, it was to introduce the ryuugakusei to the tutors that will be assigned to help us with anything from homework to translating the electric bill. It was a pretty low-key event with good food and we all did oral introductions which is a little stressful for everyone. I think everyone had a good time.
At the end, we all got together for a group picture. The manager of the international center here, who we discovered is a huge Star Wars/Harry Potter/you name it nerd, got everyone to smile by pulling a Harry Potter wand from his jacket pocket and waving it while saying "Wingardium Leviosa!" I got a good laugh out of realizing that he'd been carrying it around all day.
I also just recently learned how to express varying probability that an action or event will occur. Thanks again to Haruka for helping me out so much. Before coming here, I only knew how to express absolutely that something would or would not happen. Right after I arrived, I picked up たぶん(tabun, "probably") but I still found a need to express a low probability. Things are moving right along.
Not much else to report. The weather here has been on-and-off beautiful and miserable. I'm just waiting for the punishingly humid summer that everyone has warned me about.
*Green tea is the free beverage of choice here. If a restaurant doesn't have free water, they will have free green tea.
Sunday, April 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
i think i should leave comments
on your blog, not mine
because you will get e-mail
to admit my comment..right?
so, you can notice my comment
by receiving e-mail!
I also left same comment on my blog.
コメントが遅くなってごめんなさい。
外国語を勉強することはとても難しいです!
helpful means
助けになる/役立つ/有益な。
when you use helpful like this
"You are very helpful"
you should choose 助けになる instead of 有益な。
*助ける means "help"
(according to my dictionary)
You are very helpful
あなたはとても助けになる人です。
下の大丈夫です!
たぶん授業へ行く。I'll probably go to class. (~80-90%)
授業へ行くかもしらない。I might go to class. (~50%)
→授業へ行くかもし『れ』ない。
授業へ行く可能性がある。[I probably won't go to class.]/[There's a small possibility I'll go to class.] (~20%)
完璧です!Perfect!!
Your Japanese has been improved
dramatically!!! cool!
私も英語をがんばります。
Hi Nathan
Just got caught up on reading your blog. sounds like you are having a fantastic time and your form of curious observation reminds me of my first time to the USA. Funny when everything is different. Unfortunately Alisha's pictures load painfully slowly at home on the modem, so I'll try to look at them next time I get a chance at work. Take care, Hi to Alisha, Carola
はい、ここにコメントを書くことがいいですね。私もあなたのブログにします。あなたはとても助けになる人ですよ!
あ、そして、きょうアリシャさんは私にはるかさんはいいチュターと言ました。^_^
That might not all be correct, but oh well. I'll do the same and post on both blogs. GW初めて!
こんばんは。かぜは治りましたか?
もう大丈夫ですか?
アリーシャも、ネイトも、ありがとう!
もっと良いチューターになれるように
がんばります。
GWに何をしますか?
3日、会えたら良いですね!
I wanna meet you guys
on 3rd May!
it's DEEP NAGOYA tour, right?
I wanna attend it :)
Hi Nate!! It's Alix and I am finally able to comment on one of your blog entries!
It's so exciting that you got to try "kaiten zushi", at least that's what my host family called it when I was in Japan. Have you eaten anything strange or exotic yet? One of my friends ate horse before without knowing it, so I have to ask.
I hope you're having an awesome time and we miss you in class!
Ja~!
はるかさんへ はい、治って、大丈夫です。きょうアリーシャといっしょうにおすに買い物をしました。楽しかった。おすてらはおもしろくてうつくしいですね。
はい、3日はDeep Nagoyaそして私とアリーシャが出ます。あなたは行きませんか。
Hey Alix,
Sweet, now I know the name. It was good times. I haven't tried anything too far out yet. I'm working up to なっと. I have twice given a good college try to the うめぼし on top of my べんとう lunch. I think I could choke another down to be polite some time, but in familiar company I think I've had enough of that particular food. :)
Post a Comment