Okay, so my plan is to catch you up in chronological order i.e. writing about the older stuff first and gradually coming up to the present. The only exception to this plan is an event that occurred during the
So, first things first. Japanese society and culture has a number of fundamental pillars which have influenced the development of the country for many hundreds of years. One of these is Shinto, an animistic religion, which I couldn’t possibly being to describe in this blog post. Shinto has a number of tenents, among the most important being cleanliness. There is a strong link there between physical cleanliness and spiritual cleanliness, which is why Japanese people remove their shoes before entering (most) rooms among other practices. Since cleanliness is so important,
So I’m in the bath at the retreat house in
PREFACE FOR FAMILY MEMBERS AND OTHERWISE CONCERNED PARTIES: I am at this time okay with 2 very nicely healing wounds. No other residual damage exists. How are you guys doing?
...fainted. Apparently I didn’t realize just how high my body’s core temperature had become in the bath and, well, good night Gracie. I fell remarkably evenly on my right side, suffering small bruises on my right knee, elbow, shoulder, and jaw. On my hip there is an enormous bruise that resembles a Serat painting as well as a cut on my head, the last point to encounter the slate tile floor. Ouch. Luckily for me, the Chinese student and one of the other American students were there to help me gather my things and make sure I was alright. Ironically, I was the calmest one in the room, having ascertained that I didn’t have a concussion and, considering the head wound, I very small amount of bleeding. Quite a few years ago I broke my collarbone when the defective quick-release on my bike saw me traveling quickly forward and even faster downwards, my front wheel rolling just ahead of the part of the bike that it’s normally connected to. When the fork hit the pavement I basically flew straight over the handlebars into the street (was wearing a helmet, didn’t need it. Funny little world, eh?). I would go so far as to use the word “spectacular” to describe the whole affair.
Anyway, the pain of the event and subsequent recovery sans painkillers (which I was allergic to/didn’t work, don’t know why) ended up being pretty good prep for bashing my head into the floor. So now, when I come back and recount my trip for people, I’ll have an actual, physical scar to show off. Neat, huh?
All that being said, you can bet I’ll be back in the bath next chance I have. Now I know my limits, especially the part where you sit there and cool down as opposed to, you know, hurting yourself.
I’m happy to report that in addition to being physically sound, I’m doing much better in all other areas as they relate to culture shock. I realized after a lengthy discussion with Alisha that my expectations for myself were way way too high and that I just need to pace myself and be unapologetic for what I have no control over. She’s right, too. If I’m in this for the next 7 months, I do need to be more respectful of my limitations. I got to laugh at myself a little, too. I remember, going in to the trip, thinking “I’ll probably have come culture shock, but as long as I take it slow, everything should be fine.” Heh, yeah.
Next time: Osu market and temple.
2 comments:
*points*
YOU BETTER BE MORE CAREFUL! OR ELSE!!
*glare*
Hi Nathan, It's mom -- thanking you for not making us wait until the end of the story to know that you were all right! Good job falling in a nonpermanent harm way! Makes me reminisce about the bike accident... more on that later.
You have a blog fan here. You write -- we'll read for sure!
From Russ: "Nathan, glad you always wear a helmet. It comes in handy when you least expect it." More on that later too.
Hugs! :) mom
Post a Comment